Makes: 12 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Bake: 45 mins
- 2 1 1/4-pound eggplants, sliced crosswise 1/3 inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 14 slices sandwich bread, crusts removed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1/4cup chopped parsley, plus more for sprinkling
- Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees . Layer the eggplant in a colander, sprinkling each layer with salt; let stand for 20 minutes. Rinse, then pat dry.
- Place the eggplant slices in a large bowl, drizzle with the olive oil and toss. Arrange on 2 parchment-lined baking sheets and place the garlic cloves in a corner of the pan. Roast until the eggplant is golden-brown, about 30 minutes. Let cool, then peel the garlic.
- Meanwhile, arrange 12 bread slices on a baking sheet. Brush with the butter, sprinkle with the caraway seeds and season with salt and pepper. Bake until golden, about 15 minutes.
- Using a food processor, grind the remaining 2 bread slices into breadcrumbs. Add the garlic, yogurt and all but 12 of the eggplant slices; process until smooth. Pulse in 1/4 cup parsley; season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the eggplant puree on the 12 toasts and top each with an eggplant slice and more parsley.
- Stir finely chopped pickled jalapeno chiles into the eggplant puree.