Reader Shannon Hutchins shares her recipe for mac 'n' cheese. The secret toits appeal? Liberal amounts of butter, and no surprises. "I've flown across the country with my mac 'n' cheese," says Seattle-based Hutchins."A friend in New York even asked me to overnight it to him. That wouldn't end well."
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 1 pound macaroni pasta
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 stick (4 ounces) butter
- 6 ounces shredded aged white cheddar cheese (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 6 ounces shredded muenster cheese (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 6 ounces shredded pepper jack cheese (about 1 1/2 cups)
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta until al dente; drain.
- Meanwhile, in large saucepan, melt the cream, Velveeta and butter over low heat. Stir in the cheddar, muenster and pepper jack and cook, stirring, until the cheese has melted; season with pepper. Stir in the pasta.