Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Grill: 5 mins
- 6 1/2-inch-thick slices baguette
- 1 bunch scallions
- 3 beefsteak tomatoes, stem ends discarded, halved crosswise
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, shredded
- 6 slices cooked bacon, halved crosswise
- Preheat a grill to medium. Brush the bread, scallions and tomatoes with the olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Place on the grill, cover and cook, turning once, until the bread and scallions are slightly charred, about 5 minutes. Rub the grilled bread with the garlic.
- Finely chop the scallions; transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the mayonnaise and vinegar, add the romaine and toss to coat; season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange a grilled tomato half on each of 6 plates. Top each with about 1/2 cup of salad, a grilled bread slice, the remaining salad and 2 pieces bacon.