Most eggs are hard-boiled, dunked in dye and covered in glitter this time of year. But were taking them out of their shells with this scrambled egg and bacon breakfast pizza. Start with storebought crust, then layer it with potatoes, ham, and eggs quick-cooked in a bit of salty bacon fat. Its one Easter recipe that requires little investment, but pays back with plenty of flavor.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 1 pound store-bought frozen pizza dough, thawed
- 3 new potatoes, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces thick-sliced bacon, chopped
- 4 scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced separately
- 4 eggs, beaten
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2cup sour cream
- 5 ounces thinly sliced smoked ham
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 2 handfuls frisee lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . Spread the dough on a lightly floured 12-by-18-inch baking sheet and bake until the crust is fully cooked, about 15 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, combine the potato slices and enough salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Drain and pat dry.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the bacon over medium-low heat until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate, reserving the bacon fat.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and, working in batches, add the potato slices to the skillet. Cook, turning once, until golden, about 5 minutes; transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. In the same skillet, add the scallion whites and cook until soft, about 2 minutes; add to the potatoes.
- Wipe out the skillet, lower the heat to low and add the eggs. Scramble until just cooked, about 1 minute; season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the pizza crust with the sour cream and layer the toppings evenly as follows: the ham slices, scrambled eggs, 1/2 cup gruyere, the potatoes, bacon, scallion greens and remaining 1/2 cup gruyere. Return to the oven to melt the cheese, about 5 minutes. Top with the frisee to serve.
- For a crispier crust, place directly on the oven rack.