Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 ribs celery, trimmed and sliced crosswise, plus leaves for sprinkling
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 granny smith apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 8 slices bread
In a large dutch oven, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the parsnips, celery and garlic and cook, stirring, until the parsnips are lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil; lower the heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Using a blender, puree the mixture, gradually adding up to 1 cup water to reach the desired consistency; season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the celery leaves.
2.Meanwhile, divide the cheese and apple slices among 4 bread slices, then top with the remaining 4 bread slices. In a large skillet, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat; add the sandwiches and cook, turning once, until golden-brown, about 5 minutes. Serve with the soup.
- Add crunch to your soup by stirring in a finely chopped apple.
- Use an immersion blender for your soup and a panini press for your sandwiches.
- Swap in honey, peanut butter and cooked bacon strips for the cheese.