Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Bake: 30 mins
- 2 cups farro, rinsed
- 4 slices bacon
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees . In a large saucepan of boiling, lightly salted water, cook the farro, undisturbed, until tender, 20 to 25 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, fry the bacon over medium heat until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes; drain on paper towels. Crumble and reserve.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until smooth; cook until pale golden, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Whisk in half of the cheese until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked farro, three-quarters of the bacon, the cheese sauce and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Spread evenly in a greased 9-by- 13-inch baking dish; sprinkle the remaining cheese and bacon on top. Bake until the cheese is melted and golden, about 30 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle cooked grains across the tops of casseroles and broil for a crust.