Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 1 hr 10 mins
Bake: 1 hr
- 2 eggplants, peeled and cut lengthwise into 12 slices
- Salt and pepper
- 3 zucchini (about 1 1/2 pounds), sliced diagonally 1/3 inch thick
- 1/2cup plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large onions (about 1 1/2 pounds), thinly sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 3 large cloves garlic, grated
- 1 35 ouncecan peeled Italian tomatoes, drained and cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a colander or large bowl, season the eggplant with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. In another colander or large bowl, season the zucchini with 3/4 teaspoon salt. Let stand for 30 minutes; pat dry.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, bell pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes; lower the heat to low and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
- Arrange the tomatoes on the onion mixture and season with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper; do not stir. Cover the skillet and cook over low heat until the tomatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Uncover and cook, without stirring, for 5 minutes. Top with the parsley; let cool.
- In a large skillet or griddle, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, and using up to 1 tablespoon more olive oil, cook the zucchini in a single layer, turning once, until tender and golden, about 5 minutes; transfer to a plate. Add 3 tablespoons olive oil to the skillet and, working in batches and using up to 3 tablespoons more olive oil, arrange the eggplant in a single layer and cook, turning once, until tender and golden, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees . Grease a 5-quart shallow baking dish. Arrange 6 pieces of eggplant in the dish. Keeping the stacks distinct, top with half of the zucchini and half of the tomato-onion mixture, then the remaining zucchini, tomato-onion mixture and eggplant. Cover with foil and bake until the vegetables are extremely tender, about 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 minutes more. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.