Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 1/2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 4 thick slices peasant bread
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Stir in the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, vinegar, sugar and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, cover, lower the heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in half of the parsley, add the mussels, cover and cook until the mussels open, about 5 minutes. Divide the mussels and broth among 4 bowls, sprinkle with the remaining parsley and drizzle with olive oil. Serve with the bread.