Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 4 mangoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2/3cup plus 2 tablespooons sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 tablespooons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2cups flour
- 3/4cup macadamia nuts, finely ground
- 1 1/4teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- 2 large eggs
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees . In a small saucepan, combine half of the mangoes, 2 tablespoons sugar, the lemon juice and ginger and cook over medium heat until jamlike, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, then stir in the remaining mangoes. Pour into a 2-quart or 8-inch square baking dish.
- Using an electric mixer, combine the remaining 2/3 cup sugar, the flour, ground macadamia nuts, baking powder and salt. Mix in the butter at medium-low speed until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Beat in the eggs at low speed until just combined. Using a large spoon, drop the dough over the mango mixture to cover evenly. Sprinkle with sugar and bake until the crust is golden, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Stand the mango on the stem end. Cut off the round halves, keeping your knife parallel to the large, oval seed in the center.
- Cut a crosshatch pattern into each half with your knife, being careful not to cut all the way through the skin.
- Press on the skin side of the mango to "pop" out hte mango cubes, using a small knife to help remove them from the skin.