Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 1 1 ouncepackage potato gnocchi
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Cook the gnocchi according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through, about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
- In a small saucepan, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook until toasted, about 3 minutes. Whisk in the half-and-half and chicken broth; bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until thickened. Whisk into the chicken mixture, then stir in the gnocchi. Bring to a simmer, then season with salt and pepper and top with the scallions.
- Potato Gnocchi $2.99 Butter $0.36 Onion $0.69 Red bell pepper $1.44 Chicken breast $1.92 Flour $0.02 Half-and-half $0.70 Chicken broth $0.40 Scallions $0.24 Total: $8.76 $2.19 per person (Salt and pepper are freebies)
- Freeze the chicken mixture in one or more containers. Thaw in the refrigerator, then heat in a saucepan with the cooked gnocchi over medium heat.