Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 35 mins
- 1 large acorn squash (about 2 pounds), cut into quarters and seeded
- 3 dried red chiles
- Boiling water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 poblano chiles
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 15 ouncecan black beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2cup sour cream
- Preheat the broiler. Microwave the squash on medium-high power until fork-tender, about 10 minutes; let cool slightly. Scoop out the flesh and transfer to a food processor; discard the skin.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, soak the red chiles in just enough boiling water to cover until softened, about 15 minutes; drain. Discard the stems and seeds. Add the red chiles and chili powder to the food processor; puree.
- Place the poblano chiles on a baking sheet and broil, turning occasionally, until charred all over. Transfer to a bowl, cover and let sit until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Discard the stems and seeds, then chop.
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the squash puree, poblanos, black beans, oregano and 1 cup water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Stir in the sour cream.