Rach's pal Daisy Martinez takes inspiration from a journey to Mexico and heats up a classic comfort food.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, finely chopped, plus 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 2 limes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 hass avocado, thinly sliced lengthwise into 12 pieces
- Crushed tortilla chips
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, lower the heat to medium and cook until the onion begins to brown, about 7 minutes. Increase the heat to high, push the vegetables to the side of the pan, add the chicken and cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chipotles and adobo sauce, then stir in the chicken broth. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, skimming any foam. Stir in the cilantro and lime juice; season with salt and pepper.
- Place 2 avocado slices in each of 6 soup bowls and pour in the soup. Top with the tortilla chips.