Consider this a meal trapped in the body of a sandwich.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 1/2cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 cloves garlic
- 1/4cup fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 pound flank steak
- 2 heads radicchio, cored and leaves separated
- Salt and pepper
- 4 1/2-inch-thick slices bread from a rosemary loaf
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 1/2teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese shavings (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- Using a food processor, puree 6 tablespoons olive oil, the garlic and rosemary. Transfer to a large bowl and whisk in the vinegar. Transfer the steak and 1/2 cup marinade to a glass baking dish and mix. Add the radicchio to the remaining marinade and toss. Let stand for 1 hour.
- Preheat a grill to medium. Arrange the radicchio on the grill in a single layer and cook until lightly charred, about 5 minutes. Season the steak with salt and pepper, arrange on the grill and cook, turning once, for 8 minutes for medium-rare. Let rest for 5 minutes, then thinly slice.
- Brush the bread with 1 tablespoon olive oil and toast on the grill. In a large bowl, combine the arugula with the lemon juice and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil; season with salt and pepper and toss. Layer each piece of toast with one-quarter each of the grilled radicchio and steak, then top with some of the arugula and shaved parmigiano-reggiano.
- Subtly repeat an ingredient, like rosemary in the bread and marinade, to deliciously tie together the layers.