Satisfy your family's appetite with dinners for 10 bucks or less.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 head cauliflower, coarsely chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 rotisserie chicken, skin and bones discarded and meat shredded
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, ginger and 1 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the curry powder and cumin and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in the cider, scraping the bottom of the pan. Add 4 cups water and the sweet potato and bring to a boil. Add the cauliflower, lower the heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Using a blender, and working in batches, puree the soup; return to the saucepan. Stir in the chicken and warm through over medium heat; season with salt and pepper.
- Freeze the soup in one or more containers. To cook, thaw in the refrigerator, then heat in a saucepan over medium heat.