Makes: 3 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 1 1/2 pounds raspberries, blueberries, blackberries or strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking granulated tapioca
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- In a small bowl, mash 1 cup berries with the lemon juice and 1/3 cup sugar; stir in the tapioca and let stand for 15 minutes.
- In a heavy, medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the berry mixture and remaining 1/3 cup sugar and cook, stirring often, until hot, about 3 minutes. Add the remaining berries and bring to a boil, stirring often, for 3 minutes; lower the heat, cover and simmer, stirring often, until the tapioca is tender, about 15 minutes. Let cool.
- Ripen peaches and nectarines at room temperature. Storing them in the refrigerator can make them mealy.
- To wash delicate berries, soak them in cold water, drain, then dry them in a single layer on a paper towel.
- In a pinch, go with frozen fruit. Its picked at its peak and beats expensive and flavorless out-of-season fresh fruit any day.
- Simmer the fruit filling with a few slices of fresh ginger or a cinnamon stick.