Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 2 1/4cups flour
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small cubes and chilled
- 6 tablespoons vegetable shortening, at room temperature
- 7 tablespoons ice water
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- Sugar, for sprinkling
- Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees . Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Using a food processor, combine the flour and salt. Add the butter and shortening and pulse into crumbs, about 12 seconds. Sprinkle the mixture with the ice water and pulse until crumbly but moist enough to pinch together, about 8 seconds. Transfer the dough to a work surface and shape into a ball. Halve the dough and form into 2 disks; wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Transfer 1 dough disk to a lightly floured surface, then roll out about 1/8 inch thick. Using a 2-inch cookie cutter, cut out 15 cookies and transfer to a prepared cookie sheet; refrigerate for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, repeat with the remaining dough. Brush the cookies with the egg white and sprinkle with the sugar. Bake, rotating the pans halfway through, until golden, about 15 minutes.
- Instead of sugar, sprinkle the dough with grated parmesan cheese.