Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 1/2 cup Israeli Couscous
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound kirby cucumbers--peeled, seeded and sliced
- 1 15 ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 zucchini, shredded
- 1 cup loosely packed flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Grated peel of 1 lemon
- In a pot of boiling, salted water, cook the couscous until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over high heat. Add the cucumbers and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and paprika. Using a food processor, and working in batches, puree the mixture. Return to the pot and stir in the vegetable broth, couscous and zucchini. For cold soup, refrigerate until chilled.
- In a small bowl, combine the parsley, parmesan, lemon peel and remaining 1/4 cup olive oil. Serve the soup drizzled with the parsley pesto.
- Use fresh basil instead of parsley.
- Bodega Julian Chivite Gran Feudo Rosado 2007 (Spain)