Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 4 pita breads
- 1 1/2pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 1 romaine heart, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2cup dill pickle slices
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for serving
- 3/4cup store-bought hummus
- Preheat a grill to medium-high. Stack the pitas and wrap in heavy-duty foil; place on the grill and cover to warm.
- In a large bowl, combine the beef with the cumin, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; shape into twelve 1/3-inch-thick patties. In another large bowl, combine the romaine, tomatoes and pickles; toss with the olive oil and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the pitas from the grill. Transfer the beef patties to the grill, cover and grill for 2 minutes on each side for medium. Spread each pita with some of the hummus, then top with some of the salad and 3 patties. Serve with the lemon wedges.
- Use Greek-style yogurt instead of the hummus and add feta cheese crumbles to the salad.