It's berry time! Welcome the season with this recipe that transforms this juicy fruit from a simple snack into a satisfying dessert.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 20 mins
- 2 cups hulled and halved strawberries (about 12 ounces)
- 3/4cup sugar
- Ice Water
- 1 pint half-and-half
- 2 large eggs yoks
- In a medium stainless steel bowl, combine the strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar; mash with a fork. Set the bowl in a larger bowl filled with ice water.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the half-and-half and remaining 1/2 cup sugar to a simmer, stirring occasionally, over medium heat. In a heatproof bowl, whisk the egg yolks, then gradually whisk in about 1/2 cup of the hot cream mixture. Pour the mixture into the saucepan and cook, whisking constantly, over medium heat until steaming hot and frothy, about 3 minutes.
- Strain the custard into the bowl of strawberries. Let stand, whisking occasionally, until cold.
- Using an ice cream maker, process the cooled custard according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze.
- Campbells Rutherglen Tokay NV (Australia)