Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 40 mins
Bake: 1 hr 10 mins
- 1 cup whole almonds (about 4 ounces)
- 1 1/4cups plus 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 pounds cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 large eggs plus 2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1/4cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Boiling water, for baking
- Fresh raspberries, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees . Using a food processor, pulse the almonds and 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar until finely chopped. Add the butter and pulse until combined. Press the nut mixture evenly into a 9-inch springform pan. Bake until browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool. Place the pan on a long piece of foil; fold the foil up the sides of the pan. Set in a large baking dish or roasting pan.
- Lower the oven to 325 degrees . Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese at low speed until fluffy, about 1 minute. Scrape the sides of the bowl, then gradually beat in the remaining 1 1/4 cups sugar until smooth and creamy, 1 to 2 minutes; scrape down the bowl. Beat in the eggs and egg yolks 1 at a time, scraping down the bowl each time. Beat in the sour cream, lemon peel and vanilla.
- Pour the filling into the crust. Transfer to the oven and pour enough boiling water into the baking dish to reach halfway up the sides of the springform pan. Bake until the edges are set and the center jiggles slightly, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Turn off the oven, prop the door open slightly and let the cake cool in the oven for 1 hour.
- Remove the cake from the water bath; discard the foil. Let the cake cool completely, then cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours. Top with fresh raspberries.