Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2cups quinoa, well rinsed
- 1/2cup pitted and thinly sliced black and green olives
- 1/2cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/3cup fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/3cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1/3cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
- In a large saucepan or deep skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the quinoa and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in 2 1/4 cups water, season with salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat, cover and simmer until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes. Add the olives, pine nuts, basil, cilantro and parsley and toss with a fork to combine; season with salt.
- Rinse quinoa at least 3 times to remove its bitter resin.