Frying makes anything taste better, and it's easier than you'd ever imagine. So pour some oil, crank up the heat and prepare to churn out this flavorful dish.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 35 mins
- 1 pound fresh okra, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 tablespoon grated lime peel, plus 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2cup cornmeal
- 1/4cup flour
- 1/2teaspoon baking powder
- In a bowl, sprinkle the okra with salt and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees .
- Meanwhile, fill a medium pot with enough oil to reach a depth of 2 inches and heat until it registers 375 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer. In a bowl, combine the lime peel, chili powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- In a bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour and baking powder; add the okra and toss. Working in batches, transfer to a strainer and shake off the excess flour.
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Working in batches, fry the okra for 7 to 10 minutes, allowing the oil temperature to return to 375 degrees between batches. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet to drain; sprinkle with the chili-lime mixture. Transfer to the oven. Toss with the lime juice just before serving.