"Burritos are fun, but burrito burgers are a change from the same old, same old. They're packed with protein—plus, they're a great use for leftover rice."
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 1 pound ground beef sirloin
- 1 15 ouncecan black beans, rinsed
- 1/2cup leftover white or brown rice, cold
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- 1 1/2teaspoons ground cumin (about 1/2 palmful)
- 1 1/2teaspoons ground coriander (about 1/2 palmful)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno chile or serrano chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, grated or finely chopped
- Grated peel and juice of 1 lime
- 1/2cup sour cream
- 4 crusty rolls, split
- 4 leaves red-leaf lettuce
- 1 tomato, sliced
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, beans, rice, grill seasoning, chili powder, cumin and coriander. Form into 4 patties. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook, turning once and lowering the heat slightly for the last few minutes, until browned, 12 minutes.
- While the burgers cook, in a medium bowl, mash together the avocado, onion, jalapeno, garlic, lime peel and lime juice. Stir in the sour cream.
- Layer each roll bottom with a lettuce leaf, a tomato slice, a beef patty, guacamole and a roll top.