Break out the baking dishes—there's lots here to keep you and your family satisfied.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound ground sirloin or chicken
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup beer
- 1 9 ounce bag flax seed tortilla chips or whole grain tortilla chips
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2 jalapeno chiles, thinly sliced
- 2 ripe plum tomatoes, cut into small cubes
- 1/3 cup cilantro or flat-leaf parsley leaves (a generous handful)
- 2 lime wedges
- In a large skillet, heat the EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the ground meat and cook, stirring, until browned, about 10 minutes. Add the bell pepper, onion, garlic, thyme, cumin and coriander; season with salt and pepper. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Pour in the beer and cook, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Preheat the broiler. Arrange the chips on an ovenproof platter. Cover the chips with the meat, cheese and jalapenos and broil until the cheese is melted. Top the nachos with the tomatoes and cilantro; squeeze the lime wedges over the nachos.