Whip up easy, comforting food that chases the chill away.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 20 mins
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet or hot bulk Italian sausage, or links, casings discarded
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 2 - 3 ribs celery from the heart, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 3 - 4 sprigs thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1 32 ounce container (4 cups) chicken broth
- 1 18 ounce can cannellini beans
- 1 cup ditalini pasta
- Grated pecorino-romano or parmigiano-reggiano cheese, for serving
- Crusty bread, for mopping
- In a soup pot, heat the EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Crumble in the sausage and cook, stirring, until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the carrot, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaf, rosemary and thyme; season with salt and pepper. Cook until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, beans and 2 cups water, cover the pot and bring the soup to a boil over high heat. Stir in the ditalini, lower the heat and simmer until al dente. Discard the bay leaf and rosemary and thyme stems.
- Serve the soup in bowls with a drizzle of EVOO and lots of cheese. Serve with bread for mopping.