Don't let the maple syrup fool you—these meaty guys aren't just for breakfast.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 45 mins
- 4 large golden delicious apples, halved crosswise and cored
- 1 pound chicken or sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/3cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (a generous handful)
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey mustard or Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 6 cups mixed greens
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees . Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, then add the apples, cut sides up.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sausage, parsley and maple syrup. Using a rubber spatula, stuff each apple half so that the sausage mixture mounds out of the top, then drizzle with EVOO. Ask your Grown-Up Helper (GH) to bake the stuffed apples until tender and the sausage is cooked through, 40 to 45 minutes.
- In a salad bowl, combine the apple cider vinegar and mustard, then whisk in 1/4 cup EVOO; season with salt and pepper. Toss the greens with the dressing and serve with the stuffed apples. Yum-o!