Most likely to please at a holiday dinner party.
Makes: 16 servings
Prep: 30 mins
Bake: 20 mins
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 3 1/2 ounce bars dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup finely crushed peppermint candy canes or candies
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter until soft. With the mixer on low, gradually add the confectioners' sugar until creamy, then beat in the egg. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa and salt; add to the mixer about one-third at a time, beating at low speed until smooth.
- Lay a 16-inch sheet of parchment paper on a work surface; turn out the dough onto the paper. Using your hands, shape the dough into a 12-inch-long cylinder; wrap tightly in the parchment and roll into a smooth, even log. Twist the ends to seal and refrigerate for 30 minutes; reshape the cylinder and refrigerate for 30 minutes more.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees ; line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Unwrap the dough; using a sharp knife, slice into 1/3-inch-thick rounds. Place about 1 inch apart on the cookie sheets; bake until firm, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool completely.
- In a bowl, combine two-thirds of the chopped chocolate with the oil; microwave for 30 seconds, then stir until smooth. (If needed, heat for additional 10-second intervals.) Stir in the remaining chopped chocolate until smooth.
- Using an offset spatula, spread a scant teaspoon of melted chocolate on top of each cookie. Sprinkle the peppermints on top and let stand until set, 2 to 3 hours.
- When baking two trays of cookies, switch and rotate pans halfway through for even baking.