If you love a gyro platter with the works, this lion of a lamb burger is for you.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 1 1/2 pounds ground lamb
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/4 seedless cucumber, peeled
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup Greek-style yogurt
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4 crusty sesame kaiser rolls, split
- 8 leaves romaine lettuce from the heart, torn
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 slices red onion
- Olive oil potato chips in any flavor, for serving
- Combine the lamb, grill seasoning, fennel seeds, oregano, cumin and crushed red pepper. Form into 4 patties.
- In a large skillet, heat the EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook, flipping once, for 3 minutes on each side for medium-rare.
- Using a food processor fitted with a grating disk, grate the cucumber and garlic. Add the yogurt, feta and lemon juice and puree.
- Spread some tzatziki sauce on the roll bottoms and top with the burgers, lettuce, tomato, red onion, more sauce and roll tops. Serve with the potato chips.
- Jean-Luc Colombo Cotes du Rhone Les Abeilles Rouge 2006 (France), Georges Vigouroux Malbec Cahors Gouleyant 2006 (France)
- Use ground beef instead of lamb.