Take a bite out of fall's bounty with an easy and yummy dish.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 15 ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 eggplants, cut into 8 slices each
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup packed baby arugula
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, torn
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4 sesame-crusted sub rolls
- 1 1/2- to 1-pound ball smoked mozzarella, sliced into 8 rounds
- Preheat a grill pan to medium-high or a broiler to high. In a small saucepan, heat the EVOO over medium heat. Add the garlic and rosemary and let steep for 3 minutes.
- In a large skillet, combine 1 tablespoon of the infused EVOO and the red onion over medium heat and cook until softened, 6 to 7 minutes. Add the tomatoes, brown sugar and vinegar, lower the heat and cook until thickened, 7 minutes.
- Brush half the eggplant with the infused EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Grill or broil, flipping once, until tender, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Repeat with the remaining eggplant.
- Dress the arugula and basil with the lemon juice and remaining infused EVOO; season with salt and pepper.
- On each roll bottom, layer 4 eggplant slices, a handful of greens and 2 smoked mozzarella rounds. Grill or broil to melt the cheese. Slather the roll tops with the tomato jam and set in place.
- Concannon Merlot Selected Vineyards 2006 (California), Layer Cake Primitivo 2006 (Italy)