Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 25 mins
Bake: 45 mins
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 2/3 cups milk
- 2 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels, cut from about 4 ears
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese (5 ounces)
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Paprika, for sprinkling
- Grease a 2-1/2-quart shallow casserole dish. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . In a medium bowl, beat together the egg yolks and milk for 1 to 2 minutes. Mix in the corn, 1 cup breadcrumbs, 3/4 cup cheese, the celery, onion, butter and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites at medium speed for 1 minute, then beat at high speed just until stiff, 1 to 2 minutes. Fold the egg whites into the corn mixture, then scrape into the prepared casserole dish. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and 1/2 cup breadcrumbs and sprinkle with paprika. Bake until puffed and golden, about 45 minutes.
- Washington Hills Chardonnay 2006 (Washington), Frei Brothers Chardonnay Reserve Russian River Valley 2007 (California)