Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 45 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 12 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (3 cups)
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 small flour tortillas
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 15 1/2 ounce cans red kidney beans, rinsed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 8 ounce jar taco sauce
- 1 4 1/2 ounce can chopped green chiles
- 1 3 1/2 ounce package cooked chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees . In a medium bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups cheddar with the monterey jack and set aside.
- Brush a rimmed baking sheet with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Arrange 6 tortillas on the sheet so that the surface is covered, overlapping as needed. Sprinkle the remaining 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese evenly over the tortillas, leaving a 1/2-inch border on all sides; cover with the remaining 6 tortillas, overlapping as needed. Prick the top layer with a fork and bake until the tortillas begin to brown, about 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until golden-brown, about 10 minutes. Add the beans and 1/4 cup water and mash until the beans are soft and the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the bean mixture over the tortillas, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Top with the taco sauce, chiles, chorizo and reserved cheese mixture. Bake until the cheese is melted, 25 to 30 minutes.