Nothing brings on the rush of autumn quite like a crisp apple.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds chicken tenders, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 2 apples, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 15 ounce cans pinto or white beans, rinsed
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese (about 8 ounces)
- Toasted tortillas, for serving
- Chopped scallions, for serving
- In a large Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, chili powder and cumin. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes; transfer to a bowl.
- In the same pot, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the apples and onion and cook, stirring, until softened, 6 minutes; add to the chicken.
- In the same pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in the flour for 1 minute; whisk in the chicken broth and milk until thickened, 3 minutes. Stir in the chicken-apple mixture and beans, bring to a simmer, then stir in the cheese. Serve with the tortillas and scallions.
- Beringer Knights Valley Alluvium Blanc 2006 (California), Snoqualmie Naked Riesling 2007 (Washington State)