Serve with steamed broccoli.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 large tomatoes, cored
- 2 pounds skirt steak
- 2 kaiser rolls, split
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- Preheat a grill to medium-high. In a small bowl, stir together the garlic, olive oil, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and the cayenne.
- Brush the tomatoes with some of the garlic oil. Grill, covered, turning once, until lightly charred, about 12 minutes; transfer to a plate.
- Meanwhile, brush the steak and the rolls with garlic oil. Grill the rolls, turning occasionally, about 2 minutes; grill the steak, turning once, about 4 minutes total for medium-rare. Let the meat rest for 5 minutes, then thinly slice.
- Coarsely chop the rolls and tomatoes and toss in a medium bowl; add the rosemary and season with salt and pepper. Divide the steak slices among 4 plates and top with the bread salad.
- Pertinace Dolcetto d'Alba 2007 (Italy), Dominio del Plata Crios de Susana Balbo Malbec 2007 (Argentina)
- Finely chop leftover rosemary leaves, mix with softened butter and slather on grilled veggies and meats.