Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 2 kaiser rolls, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 12 ounce package romaine hearts, torn into small pieces
- Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees . On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the bread with 2 tablespoons olive oil, season with salt and pepper and toast for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, 3 tablespoons parmesan, mustard and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Crumble the beef into a medium bowl, season with salt and pepper and toss. Divide into 12 equal portions and roll into balls. Thread 3 meatballs onto each of 4 wooden skewers, leaving a 1/2-inch space between each; pat each meatball into a 2-inch patty.
- Preheat a grill pan over medium heat. Brush the patties with olive oil and grill, turning once, about 6 minutes total for medium.
- Meanwhile, add the lettuce and croutons to the dressing and toss. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Top with the skewers.
- Handle the meat as little as possible--this keeps it nice and juicy.