Send summer off with the season's best produce and a great grilled supper.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
- 2 1 pounds eggplants, tops and bottoms discarded, cut crosswise into 12 slices each
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), for brushing
- Salt and pepper
- 1 loaf crusty Italian semolina bread, halved crosswise, then each half split lengthwise
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 4 large heirloom tomatoes, cut into 6 slices each
- 1 bunch basil, stems discarded
- 2 1 pound balls smoked mozzarella, cut into 8 slices each
- Preheat a grill or broiler to medium-high. Brush each eggplant round on both sides with EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Grill until tender, about 5 minutes (or broil for 10 minutes).
- Grill the 4 bread pieces until lightly charred on both sides. Rub with the garlic, brush with EVOO and season with salt.
- Layer each piece of bread with the grilled eggplant, tomato slices, basil leaves and mozzarella slices. Grill the sandwiches, covered, until the cheese is melted, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Alamos Bonarda 2007 (Argentina), Argiolas Perdera 2007 (Italy)