On the grill, summer fruit bakes and bubbles beneath a blanket of biscuit.
Makes: 8 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 pounds nectarines (3 to 4), sliced
- 1 cup mixed berries
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat a grill to medium-high. Grease a medium cast-iron skillet. In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar and the baking powder. Mix in the buttermilk and butter until just combined.
- In another medium bowl, toss together the nectarines, berries, remaining 1 tablespoon flour and 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Spoon the fruit into the prepared skillet and dollop the dough over the fruit in 8 spoonfuls; sprinkle with sugar. Cover with foil and grill until the juices are bubbling and the top is golden, about 20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving with a scoop of the ice cream.
- Slice, twist and turn to easily remove nectarine pits.
- Spoon the dough over the fruit in biscuit-size portions.
- Cover the pan with foil to create an "oven" on the grill.