Serve with a spinach salad.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 1 1/2 pounds ground lamb
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 5 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 1 6 ounce package portobello mushroom caps
- 1 red onion, cut crosswise into 3/4-inch-thick slices
- 4 1 inches thick Italian bread slices
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Preheat a grill to medium. In a large bowl, mix together the lamb, feta, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Shape meat into four 3/4-inch-thick patties.
- Brush olive oil all over the mushrooms, onion and bread slices. Season the patties and vegetables with salt and pepper and grill, covered, until the patties are just firm to the touch, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Grill the bread until toasted, 1 to 2 minutes on each side.
- Divide the bread among 4 plates and top each with a mushroom cap, a lamb patty and some onion slices; drizzle with the vinegar.
- Osborne Solaz Tempranillo-Cabernet Sauvignon 2005 (Spain), Vina Carmen Cabernet Sauvignon 2005 (Chile)
- Chop all leftovers into bite-size pieces, drizzle with olive oil and toss for a bread salad.