Makes: 9 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Bake: 12 mins
- 1 cup (about 8 ounces) blanched almonds, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2cup vegetable oil
- Grated peel of 1 lemon, plus 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees . Line 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a food processor, finely grind 1 cup almonds with 1 tablespoon sugar. In a large bowl, beat the remaining sugar, the oil, lemon peel and lemon juice until a soft paste forms. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until thick and foamy. Add to the lemon-sugar mixture and beat for 20 seconds. Fold in the flour, cardamom and ground almond mixture until smooth.
- Drop rounded tablespoonfuls of batter onto the cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. Top each with an almond. Bake until the edges are lightly golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Using a spatula, immediately transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool.