Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2 1/4cups whole milk
- 3/4cup granulated sugar
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4cup raisins
- 6 tablespoons butter
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Applesauce, for serving
- In a large bowl, lightly whisk the egg yolks, milk, 1/2 cup granulated sugar and the salt. Whisk in the flour and raisins until combined.
- In another large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer or a whisk, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold the whites into the egg yolk mixture until barely combined.
- In a medium nonstick skillet, melt 1/2 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Ladle one-quarter of the batter into the pan to make a large pancake and cook, without disturbing, until the bottom is browned, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook until the other side is browned and set, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the pancake to a plate; repeat with the remaining batter.
- Cut the pancakes into 1- to 2-inch pieces. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in the skillet and stir in 1 tablespoon granulated sugar. Add one-quarter of the pancake pieces and fry, tossing occasionally, until crisp, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a platter and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining pancake pieces, butter and granulated sugar. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve with the applesauce.
- Soak the raisins in rum for 30 minutes before adding to the mix.