Satisfy your family's appetite with dinners for 10 bucks or less.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 1 hr 10 mins
- 3 1/2tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2pounds beef chuck cubes
- 1 cup canned chopped tomatoes with their juice
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/8teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2pound wide egg noodles
- 1/4cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a large saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat, add half of the beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a plate. Repeat with another tablespoon butter and the remaining beef. Set aside.
- Stir the tomatoes and beef broth into the saucepan, reduce the heat to low and stir, scraping up any browned bits. Add the reserved beef, the vinegar, cinnamon, cloves and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; bring to a simmer over low heat. Cover and cook until the meat is fork-tender, about 1 hour.
- About 10 minutes before the stew is ready, cook the egg noodles according to the package directions. Toss with the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons butter and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir the parsley into the stew and serve with the noodles.
- Prepare the stew a day early and reheat while you cook the noodles.