This great mushroom-potato dish takes a shortcut with store-bought hummus.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 3 pounds small yellow-fleshed potatoes, such as Yukon gold, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1/2teaspoon paprika
- 1/2cup hummus, at room temperature
- In a medium pot, combine the potatoes and enough salted cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until tender, 20 to 25 minutes; drain well. Return to the pan; add the cream, season with salt and pepper and mash until fluffy.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the shiitakes and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp at the edges, 5 minutes. Season with the paprika and salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
- Fold the hummus into the potatoes. Stir in half of the shiitakes. Top with the remaining shiitakes.
- Use milk in place of heavy cream.