Looking to please a meat-and-potatoes crowd? Swap the hollowed-out skins of four large baked potatoes for the apple slices.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 10 mins
- 3 large, firm apples, such as gala, cored and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 pound bacon
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 bunch scallions, green parts only, chopped
- Preheat a grill or grill pan. In a resealable plastic bag, combine the apples and lemon juice.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels, then coarsely chop.
- Grill the apple slices until grill marks form on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Flip and top each slice with bacon, cheese and scallions. Cover and grill until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
- Skip the bacon and add caramelized onions.