Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 15 mins
- 1/4cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- 3/4cup flour
- 1/2cup cornstarch
- 1/4cup sesame seeds (optional)
- 3/4teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup seltzer, at room temperature
- 1 pound asparagus
- In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard and honey.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat until the temperature registers 375 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, sesame seeds, salt and baking soda. Whisk in the seltzer until smooth.
- Add the asparagus to the batter and turn to coat. Transferring one piece at a time, add about one-quarter of the asparagus to the hot oil and cook, turning, until golden and crisp, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining asparagus, allowing the oil to return to 375 degrees between batches. Serve hot with the dipping sauce.
- Keep the tempura warm in a 200 degrees oven until ready to serve.