Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Bake: 20 mins
- 1 pound asparagus
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2cup milk
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2cup flour
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch sugar
- 3 ounces gruyere or Swiss cheese, shredded (1 cup loosely packed)
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees . In a medium saucepan, add enough salted water to reach a depth of 2 inches; bring to a boil. Add the asparagus and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water, then pat dry with paper towels. Cut the spears crosswise into thirds.
- In a medium cast-iron skillet, add the butter. Place the skillet in the oven to melt the butter.
- In a medium bowl, microwave the milk on high for 30 seconds. Whisk in the eggs, then the flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and the sugar.
- Add the asparagus pieces to the hot cast-iron skillet and pour the batter on top. Sprinkle with half of the cheese and bake until puffed and golden-brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Sprinkle cooked bacon into the batter.