Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 15 mins
Bake: 1 hr
- 8 applespeeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 cups whipped cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees . Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish; add the apples. In a saucepan, bring the heavy cream, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, the brandy, 2 tablespoons butter, the vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil, whisking. Lower the heat to medium and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes; pour over the apples.
- In a food processor, combine the flour, remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and the cinnamon. Cut the remaining 1 1/2 sticks butter into 1/2-inch pieces; add to the flour mixture and pulse until coarse crumbs form; stir in the nuts.
- Scatter the topping over the apples and bake until golden, 1 hour. Let cool for 10 minutes. Serve with the whipped cream.