Not a lamb fan? Use cubed boneless chicken breasts instead.
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Grated peel and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless leg of lamb, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 18 small, pitted dates
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups instant couscous
- 1/2 cup pistachioslightly toasted, cooled and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Soak 18 wood skewers in water. In a bowl, combine 1/2 cup olive oil, the lemon peel, lemon juice, garlic, salt, ginger, cumin, turmeric and cinnamon; add cayenne to taste. Add the lamb and marinate, refrigerated, for 1/2 hour or up to 4 hours.
- Thread 2 lamb cubes and 1 date onto each skewer; reserve the marinade. In a lightly oiled grill pan over medium-high heat, grill the meat until slightly charred, 3 to 4 minutes on each side, brushing with the marinade.
- In a saucepan, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add the couscous, remove from the heat and cover for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork, then stir in 1/4 cup olive oil, the pistachios, mint and parsley. Serve with the kebabs.
- Use pine nuts in place of pistachios and basil instead of mint.