Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 28 ounce cans whole fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can chicken broth
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 stick (4 ounces) butter
- 36 slices rye cocktail bread
- 1/4 cup grainy mustard
- 1 6 ounce block cheddar cheese, cut into 2-inch squares
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and thyme and cook for 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, chicken broth and chipotle; lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Using a blender, puree the soup.
- Butter 1 side of each bread slice. Spread the unbuttered side of 18 slices with mustard; top with a slice of cheese and the remaining bread slices, buttered side up. In a nonstick skillet or griddle, grill the sandwiches over medium heat until the cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Serve with the soup.
- Score an "X" in the bottom of the tomato and place in boiling water for 1 minute.
- Place the tomatoes into ice water.
- Starting at the "X," pull off the skin.
- Use vegetable broth in place of chicken broth