Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds mixed mushrooms (such as cremini, portobello and shiitake), stemmed and sliced
- 1 32 ounce container (4 cups) chicken broth
- 1 bunch thyme
- 4 thick slices country bread
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- In a large, heavy saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring until softened, about 5 minutes. Increase the heat to high, add 2 tablespoons butter and the mushrooms and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reserve 2 tablespoons thyme leaves; tie the remaining sprigs together with kitchen string and add to the pot. Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast the bread. In a small saucepan, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter; stir in the garlic and reserved thyme leaves. Brush the garlic-thyme butter on the toasted bread.
- Discard the thyme bundle and stir 1 cup cream into the soup. Using an immersion or standing blender, puree the soup until smooth. Heat through and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the soup among 4 bowls. Drizzle with the remaining 1/4 cup cream and serve with the toasts.