Serve with orzo, tomato and basil salad.
Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 6 mins
- 1 1 1/2 pound flank steak
- Salt and pepper
- 3 jarred roasted bell peppers
- 20 fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Soak 4 wooden skewers in water. Preheat a grill to medium. Lay the steak flat on a work surface and season with salt and pepper. Split the roasted peppers and lay flat on the meat, leaving a 1-inch border at both short ends. Layer the basil and mozzarella on top; season with salt and pepper. Roll up the steak, beginning with a short end, and secure with the skewers, pushed all the way through and evenly spaced apart. Cut the roll crosswise, between the skewers, into 4 equal pinwheels. Lay each one flat.
- Drizzle the cut sides of each pinwheel with the olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Grill, covered, turning once, for about 6 minutes.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella with crushed red pepper.