Make this edible gift, and wrap it to go!
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 45 mins
Bake: 1 hr
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water (105 degrees to 115 degrees )
- 1 1/4 ounce envelope dry yeast
- 6 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound parmesan cheese, 1 cup finely grated and 4 cups shredded
- In a small bowl, stir the sugar into the lukewarm water. Stir in the yeast and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Using a standing mixer, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add the yeast mixture, olive oil and 1 cup water and mix until the dough comes together.
- Turn out the dough onto a work surface and knead, adding more water if necessary until the dough is smooth, about 5 minutes. Return the dough to the bowl, cover and let stand until doubled in size, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Position 2 racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees . Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Turn the dough out on the work surface and cut into 4 equal pieces. Cover 3 pieces with plastic wrap. Sprinkle 1/4 cup grated parmesan onto the work surface. Roll out 1 piece of dough, flipping once or twice, into an 8-by-24-inch rectangle; pat 1 cup shredded parmesan into the top of the dough. Cut in half lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 2-inch-wide strips. Transfer the strips to the prepared baking sheet, stretching each slightly. Repeat with another piece of dough. Bake for 15 minutes, switch and rotate the pans, then bake until the crackers are golden, about 12 minutes more. Using a spatula, transfer to a rack to cool. Repeat with the remaining dough and cheese.